MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

One Phone Call

Why did MHW answer the phone

That is a question that I often think about. When I call MHW on her cell, the chances of her picking up the phone are about one is four. And that's when she recognizes who is calling!

Frequently, MHW is working and won't answer the phone. Often the phone is in her bag and she won't even hear it. This time, even though she was in the middle of shopping in the local drug store, she heard the phone, took it out of her bag, and answered it even though she didn't recognize the number.

The phone call, of course, changed our lives forever. It was Ohel calling, desperately trying to place a ten week old baby girl. We were third on their list and had MHW not answered the phone and immediately agreed to take the baby (a reaction that was completely uncharacteristic of her usual methodical decision making process), they would have gone on to the next family.

(Indeed, as we discovered later, the person whom they had called second, but who needed to discuss it with her husband, was calling back to say yes at the very moment that Ohel was talking to MHW).

This week marks the second anniversary of that call. It is hard to believe. Our lives have been turned upside down and blessed and everything has changed because MHW answered her cell phone.

I will try to put down my feelings and impressions over the next couple of days about The Toddler's two year anniversary with the MoC family.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At 11:54 AM, Blogger orieyenta said…

    Happy Two Year Toddlerversary!

    I know all too well about those phone calls having received one myself telling me about Little Orieyenta and how I was soon going to be her mom!

     
  • At 12:38 PM, Blogger Jacob Da Jew said…

    Link doesn't work.

     
  • At 4:10 PM, Blogger CJ Srullowitz said…

    That is a wonderful story! It really goes to the heart of siyata Dishmaya.

     
  • At 11:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    How do you deal with having a child who is (almost?) 100% yours emotionally but not legally?

    I think that kind of uncertainty would really grate at me.

    In any case, I really admire you and your family. That little girl is truly lucky.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home