MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

More On Talent

I attribute much of whatever success I've had to an ability to realistically assess my own talents and, more importantly, shortcomings. I believe that the importance of self assessment cannot be overstated. For example, I knew early on that I didn't have the zitsfleish necessary to become a successful law firm partner so I made the switch to in-house were my skills were better suited.

Yesterday, two things happened that reminded me of the importance of self awareness.

A few days ago I emailed Rivka Farkas, the talented young graphic designer from Efrat who did the work on U'Shmuel B'Korei Sh'mo, with a couple of ideas for the cover of the new CD. Yesterday, I got a reply that said, in a very nice and polite way, "you're idea is dopey." Rather than pout and get insulted, I conceded that as a graphic designer I make a good lawyer; that Rivka did a stunning job on the first CD; and that I would be well served by letting her do her thing on the new one. So, my reply: "Rivka, you're the boss. Whatever you say goes."

Earlier, I spent a magical evening working with a bunch of brilliant appellate lawyers preparing for an important oral argument that is scheduled to take place next week. While I'm no genius, I'm also no dope, so it is rare that I am in a room with a bunch of professionals where I am demonstrably the dumbest guy there. But that was the case last night.

What does this have to do with self-assessment? I also knew early on in my career that I was not cut out to be a litigator. While I have no problem speaking in front of 1,000 people, I would be awful in one on one exchanges with a judge in court. The guys I was with last night, on the other hand, are scary smart and nimble. I am looking forward to the actual oral argument.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home