MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Surprise at Oral Argument

After almost 27 years of practicing law, I attended my first appellate oral arguments. My firm had filed a "friend of the court" brief in an important bankruptcy case that had been appealed to the Federal District Court in New York.

The argument itself was fascinating and I will have more to say about it later when I have more time. But what happened before the argument was an unexpected treat.

The argument was scheduled for 5 p.m. but I got there about 45 minutes early in order to meet, one last time, with my team (we would be presenting at the oral argument as amicus curie).

When I got to the courtroom, I noticed a bunch of guys in long ponytails and lots of tattoos. In Hell's Angels jackets. And I noticed another guy with a long pony tail, in a suit. It was Ron Kuby. He was defending the Hell's Angels in a drug case.

The issue was whether the search warrant was legal and Mr. Kuby put on quite an entertaining show. I suspect the warrant will be thrown out (for ridiculously technical reasons) and that these drug offenders will go free. Justice prevails!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home