MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Monday, September 01, 2008

My Modified Dave Wiener Tan

I put on over 280 miles on my bike over the past 10 days and have developed a "Modified Dave Wiener Tan".

What's a Modified Dave Wiener Tan? Funny you should ask.

Dave Wiener was my high school basketball coach. During the summers he worked at a camp where he wore the same outfit every day. To wit, a tennis shirt, Bermuda shorts to just above the knee, and white, mid calf sweat socks.

Consequently, when he showered after basketball practice started at the beginning of the school year, Coach would sport the goofiest tan: Face, arms and legs between the knee and halfway up his calves. My friend and teammate Jack, a keen observer of the human condition, started calling it a "Dave Wiener Tan" and, of course, the term stuck.

These days, when I look in the mirror after a ride, I see the same tan except that mine goes from my knees (where my bike shorts end) to just above my ankle (where my biking socks start). Hence, thirty five years later, I am sporting a "Modified Dave Wiener Tan".

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

  • At 8:22 AM, Blogger Originally From Brooklyn said…

    Whats worse is if you bike in one direction for too long and by the time you turn around the sun is going down on the other side. What you end up with is half your face tanned, and the other half of your face not so much. The real solution to all these problems is just to remember that a little sunscreen all over goes a long way to preventing all types of tan, sunburn, perhaps melanoma.

     
  • At 8:45 AM, Blogger MoChassid said…

    No matter how much sun screen you put on, when you ride for a few hours in the sun, you get tanned (or burnt)

     
  • At 10:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You played basketball?

     
  • At 1:23 PM, Blogger MoChassid said…

    anon 10:45

    Hard to believe, huh? I was a point guard who was very fast, a tenacious defender and could run all day. The problem was I was short (and, sadly, I still am) and could not shoot for beans.

    Had I lived 20 years later, floor hockey would have been right up my alley.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home