MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Friday, October 10, 2008

Headaches, Screaming, Meltdowns, and Real Davening.

1. I had a headache yesterday from about 11 a.m. until 11 p.m. when I went to sleep. The davening was very beautiful (I especially loved Eitan Katz's Shacharis) but I had difficulty holding kup during musaf because of the pounding in my brain. My strategy of taking a Hammer Gel with 50 mg.s of caffeine just before the fast, which worked so well on Tisha B'av, failed miserably this time.

2. The chevra at my shul apparently thinks that Hashem is hard of hearing, k'viyachol. Why else would they scream the entire Neilah? Do they think Hashem won't hear them if they simply say the words at something less than "The Who" decibel level? It certainly did not help my headache. Thankfully, I took a friend's advice and brought earplugs to shul which partially saved me.

3. When I got home and finally sat down to eat at 8 p.m. (we end ten minutes late, spend ten minutes dancing (also very helpful to my headache) and then say Kiddush Levana) I found out that the financial world did not take a break from its meltdown. My world, among many others, suffered a particularly gruesome day and I was forced to put out a few fires. I was on the phone and blackberry until 11 and barely realized I was eating to break my fast. My headache never went away.

4. Now that I get to take an early train with OOD once or twice a week, I get to see her daven (come on, you don't expect her to get up even earlier to daven at home before a 6:52 train!). Let's just say that I am embarrassed to call what I do davening after seeing how she davens.

Labels:

13 Comments:

  • At 8:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The davening this year at AK was unbelievable. Eitan Katz, Rav Kurland, the decibel level, etc. all added to a very special and holy davening.

     
  • At 10:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Scares me to think that I had the exact same thought during Neila. Do they think Hashem is hard of hearing?

    From the guy with sensitive ears at the other end of the row.

     
  • At 10:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It's a good thing you never daven in a Yeshiva for Y"N- Aish's screaming doesn't come close. I for one am a screamer- and like it loud. No- I don't think Hashem can't hear me if I don't- I just feel that I have better Kavanah and am more into the davening when I'm loud. Why do people sing loudly? Same reason- no? BTW- what does the Siddur say by Teshuva, Tefilla, Tsedaka- B'kol Ram.....

     
  • At 10:45 AM, Blogger Nighthawk700 said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 10:45 AM, Blogger Jewish Deaf Motorcycling Dad said…

    Ah, one advantage of being deaf. And I have rulings that I can turn down my hearing aid volume! Of course my new hearing aids don't go down as far as my old ones (down to almost no sound at all, helped when I needed more concentration...)

     
  • At 11:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I believe the Siddur only says Kol, not Kol Ram.

    I would like to think that screamers (and loud bangers on shtenders)would be more sensitive to the people surrounding them, unless it is the derech of the minyan to daven that way. If this is now the Derech in AK, maybe people like MoC and I will have to adapt or leave (or just get quieter seats).

     
  • At 11:28 AM, Blogger MoChassid said…

    I know! We need to develop Shul Cones of Silence!

     
  • At 12:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I hear you about the screaming and whatnot, MoC.

    Earplugs...for weddings AND shul! Who would've thought...

    Have a good shabbos.

     
  • At 12:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Loud is nice; it's the stomping that accompanies the massive adrenaline rush thats gonna make issues. One of these years, the downstairs minyan is going to complain about the paint and plaster falling on their heads.

     
  • At 3:18 AM, Blogger Joe said…

    I would pay anything to hear Eitan daven.

    About the screaming: Very annoying at times, True. But Rabbi Avigdor Miller once said, "sometimes its good to scream. God hears all right, We dont!"

     
  • At 10:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I agree. I don't like the screaming either.

     
  • At 8:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    OOD's davening inspires me too!

     
  • At 12:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I tried to get into AK to hear some of the davening but couldn't get a seat and was sort of asked to "go downstairs" when I tried to just walk in to experience some of the davening.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home