MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Monday, December 29, 2008

Fantasy Football: The Definition of Mediocre

After winning last year's championship, I finished this season appropriately, with a win that left me with a mediocre record of 8-9, my worst year yet.

Congratulations to The Great Joe Schick who had a good draft save for horrible quarterbacks but saved his season by picking up Kurt Warner from the scrap heap. Warner was one of the best players in this year's FFL.

My season went sideways on draft day, mainly because my two first picks, Frank Gore and Carson Palmer, ended up virtually useless. My pick at tight end, Kellen Winslow, was also a disaster. Finally, my first pick on defense, David Harris of the Jets (who was one of the top FFL defensive players last year) missed half the season and stunk in those games that he did play. David Garrard, my backup at QB, was a dud. While I was saved at QB by my backup to my backup, Aaron Rodgers, who had a reasonably srong year, I never did well at running back, relying on Gore, the inconsistent Thomas Jones and Chris Johnson (who was ok). My only really excellent choice was Andre Johnson who was a monster at wide receiver.

My approach to the draft was also bad; I will not make the same mistakes next year. Also, my analyst, who ranks the players for me before the draft, had a sub-par year (he, too, did not do well this year after winning his league championship for the past three years). Finally, I didn't pay enough attention to my team after the draft because of all the craziness I was dealing with at work.

So, hats off to Joe, who is keeping the championship trophy warm, until I reclaim it next year.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At 3:32 PM, Blogger ThePeoplesChamp said…

    MoC,

    Thomas Jones was inconsistent? 1500 Yards and 15 TD's? I'll take that any day of the week.
    Chris Johnson was far from ok. He was a stud. 1500 yards and 10 TD's.
    For all of Gore's issues, he was still a very serviceable back this season. I play in a few leagues and that's as good a threesome at RB as I have seen.
    Rodgers was a top 10 QB this season. Seems to me, your day to day management was the issue not the players. You had a nice squad.
    Good luck next year!

     
  • At 3:48 PM, Blogger Joe Schick said…

    Jones and Johnson were indeed actuallly your best picks.

    I agree that your inattention hurt you.

    I was lucky with Warner, but also believe that I had the best draft.

     
  • At 8:36 PM, Blogger Jewboy said…

    You somehow managed to beat me in the last week. My team went to sleep.

     
  • At 10:16 AM, Blogger MoChassid said…

    I agree that my day to day management hurt. I lost one game because I fell asleep when the Houston game was cancelled (I have four starters from Houston). I never pounced on hot players who might have been available because I wasn't paying attention, and I made some bad game time decisions.

    Thomas Jones stunk in most of the last few weeks when the Jets went into their fade.

    Gore was serviceable but you need more than serviceable from your top pick.

    I lost any chance this year when I picked Carson Palmer over Drew Brees (who I had ranked exactly the same).

    In any event, blame the lousy season on Lehman Brothers.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home