MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Monday, December 15, 2008

"Hurts My Motor To Go So Slow"

Having compleed my 5th (and last) Alyn Hospital bike ride, I am now turning to ther pursuits.

I've gotten back into running for the first time in five years. More about that below. I am hoping to combine my biking and running by doing a number of duathalons, generally two three-mile runs sandwiched around bike rides of 12 to 20 miles.

I also have a hava aminah to run the 2009 New York City Marathon. I know this is insane but I am what I am and that's what's going through my mind. The last time I did it was in 1995, when I turned 40. The first thing I need to do is figure out how to get in. I am thinking of asking Ohel if they can get me a slot in which case I would raise money for them. The second thing I have to do is figure out how to do it withou giving up my biking. I have no intention of focusing exclusively on running. Way too boring and painful.

The interesting thing is that I find myself a much stronger runner today than I was then. I am thinner and much smarter about training and nutrition. Although I just started running again, I am running at about the same pace as I did back then even though I'm 13 years older. (Don't get me wrong; I'm not exactly breaking records. I am ruunning five miles a pop at an 8 minute pace). The frustrating part is that I am capable of running considerably faster but as soon as I start pushing it to a 7.5 minute mile pace or faster, my ankles and knees start to hurt. So, at least for now, I have to hold back.

"...Time I get home my supper be cold."

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

  • At 12:38 PM, Blogger uberimma said…

    Don't push it. Five 8-minute miles in a row is pretty good at any age, and if you hurt yourself you won't be doing any of it.

    There's nothing quite like a marathon for sheer endorphin thrills. And pain, of course.

     
  • At 9:43 AM, Blogger my chariot wheels said…

    last alyn ride?
    no!
    the pillar and blogger of the challenger ride ?
    i'm sure you will have a change of heart

     

Post a Comment

<< Home