MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Monday, August 03, 2009

What I Learned in The Grand Jury. Part I

Every single DUI arrest happens in the following way:

Assistant District Attorney: "So, Officer Smith, what did you observe when you approached the driver?"

Officer Smith: "I smelled a strong odor of alcohol, and noticed that the driver had red, bloodshot eyes and his speech was slurred."

It's amazing!

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 1:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    so if I take my driver's license picture with blood shot eyes --then I could just tell the officer that my eyes are always like that!

     
  • At 11:19 AM, Anonymous ardbeg78 said…

    Then why indict each and every one of them (as you indicated in a later post)? My service on trial juries, among other things, taught me to have a healthy disrespect for cops who lie. It is so very important to enforce the law and to put dangerous people away -- important enough to require law enforcement not to taint their function with dishonesty.

     
  • At 4:03 PM, Blogger MoChassid said…

    ardbeg78

    We indicted because the objective evidence was always clear. Either the blood alcohol level was way over 0.08% or the perp refused to take a breathalyzer or blood test. (Refusal to take a test when asked creates a legal presumption of guilt).

    The cops' testimony about why they stopped a car or what they noticed when they approached the car went only to why they suspected that the perps were under the influence and why they required field sobriety tests. No one got indicted based solely on the cops' subjective testimony.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home