MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Shiny Shoe Glasses

It seems to me that there is a trend developing in the Yeshivish world. I think I'll call it "Shiny Shoe Glasses" (TM).

An example can be found here (see the picture of D. Nachman). I was at a wedding last night where Lipa was the featured singer and he was wearing even more rad spectacles. The trend must be taking off because, lately, I have been seeing a bunch of yeshivish guys walking around with glasses like those. (One of the requirements for wearing them seems to be being relatively short and pudgy; I could be wrong).

I have not seen anyone in the secular world wearing these kinds of glasses, so it must be a Yeshivish thing. Any thoughts?

Labels:

6 Comments:

  • At 1:08 PM, Blogger Ezzie said…

    I've seen it in the secular world to, but it's mostly a Brooklyn/Yeshivish thing. It's a newer version of the plastic glasses phase.

     
  • At 1:25 PM, Blogger Gil Student said…

    Also dark, thick and rectangular frames around relatively small frames. They've been "in" for a few years.

     
  • At 5:07 PM, Blogger and so it shall be... said…

    They look like clear 3-d glasses and scream: Please love me. Please notice me.

     
  • At 9:15 PM, Blogger Just Passing Through said…

    I've been commenting on this same thing. When I recently was in a local store looking for new glasses, I noted that I didn't want the 'Brooklyn look'. The owner of the store laughed and agreed and observed that yeshivish and chassidish folk only have two ways to expres themselves: their glasses and their belt buckles. MO, note that in another post.

     
  • At 1:40 PM, Blogger The Town Crier said…

    i think if you stopped and looked around a little you'd notice that it happens to be the current style and trend everywhere, not just on the modern american jewish music scene. from corporate manhattan to the pews of aish kodesh - the spectacles you describe are the popular style.

     
  • At 9:20 AM, Blogger MoChassid said…

    TTC and Kishe

    The truth is that while Iknow that these styles are worn in the secular world, I don't see them much in my secular world (Wall Street). Maybe Madison Avenue or artsy types.

    The pews at aish kodesh do , indeed, include many who wear the SS glasses. Remember, many members of aish immigrated from Brooklyn.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home