MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Plates: What Am I Missing?

Shul was very crowded this morning (Rosh Chodesh; why it's more crowded on Rosh Chodesh, I don't get, but I digress) and, running a couple of minutes late, I had to park quite a bit away.

I passed a bunch of cars, including one that had licence plates that had "PSY" running vertically on the side, and another that said "RX".

This distracted my entire davening.

All I could think of all davening was "Why would someone bother putting 'PSY' or 'RX' on his plates" (it has to be a "his"; no woman would bother with this narishkeit)? Is it a 'I'm not a doctor but I'm just as important' ego thing? It can't be that they expect to avoid a ticket by telling the cop, "sorry, officer, I was speeding because I'm a psychologist and my patient was about to jump off the roof", or, "sorry, officer, I really have to fill this prescription". Yeah, that'll work.

Like, who cares that your a psychologist?

I'm a lawyer. Do I go around with JD plates?

Help me out with this one, people.

Labels:

15 Comments:

  • At 5:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Has anybody done a study on the relative density of vanity plates in various NY area neighborhoods? I would guess that your part of 516 would come out pretty high in the ranking. I don't think its a career thing I think its a just a 516 thing.

     
  • At 6:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    There has to be some benefit to it, right? Otherwise, why would the state even print them?

    The only benefit that I'm aware of (from trying to find parking near school) for MD plates is being able to park in "Doctor's Parking" on the streets near a hospital.

    Maybe there're similar restrictions elsewhere that these plates get you out of? I have no idea.

     
  • At 7:32 PM, Blogger Ezzie said…

    I was going to guess parking of some sort. Perhaps it's easier/cheaper than getting tags on their windshield.

     
  • At 7:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    A quick google search pulls up this doc which lists all the possible NY vanity plate prefixes: http://www.scribd.com/doc/129362/License-Plate-Job-Abbreviations

    PSY is Psychologist
    RX is Pharmacist

    My guess is also for Hospital parking.

    AidelMaidel

     
  • At 10:31 PM, Blogger MoChassid said…

    My guess is ego. Sorry. I'm a cynic.

     
  • At 10:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    nononno-PSY is short for Psychic....emergency psychic reading was needed(probably something to do with the nfl draft:) Brad

     
  • At 11:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm a lawyer. Do I go around with JD plates?

    I think ESQ plates would be cooler, and more pretentious! That's the goal, right?

     
  • At 11:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I hear the ego part...but are people so impressed by the special plates? It's not like the VAS plates...

    Maybe they're hoping for special treatment from the cops?

     
  • At 9:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have 2 great ones for you-

    1. When I bought my house, the 80 year old homeowner had NYP plates. I asked him if he was a cop! He explained it stands for New York Press

    2. When I was in Yeshiva, there was a guy with RPA plates- his FATHER was a Registered Physician's Assistant- this one I totally don't get- a man no less!

     
  • At 11:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    There is one guy I saw who has "Vanity" plates that say "MUSSAR". How's that for irony.

     
  • At 11:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Who else is willing to step up to the plate?

     
  • At 3:35 PM, Blogger MoChassid said…

    anon 9:49

    Of course he was a man; it's such a guy thing.

     
  • At 11:30 PM, Blogger Ezzie said…

    Yeah - even the women who have vanity plates it's often because some guy bought it for them.

    Though I once posted a crazy one I saw in Cleveland - Ms. Pink - it was like out of a movie (but oddly in Cleveland). She had the little pink convertible and little dog and was dressed all in pink... crazy.

     
  • At 4:52 PM, Anonymous Shlomo said…

    There's a license plate I see around Queens that says CHOLENT and once driving up to Canada I saw one that had PASTRAMI. A perfect pair.

     
  • At 5:20 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

Post a Comment

<< Home