MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Bad News For Bikers

No, not Floyd...

I read this morning in the Wall Street Journal that the prices of the raw materials that are used in most premium bikes (carbon fiber and titanium) are skyrocketing because of the huge demands by the airline and aerospace business.

Since bike makers use only a tiny fraction of all these materials, they are hard pressed to obtain them without paying up. The increased costs of the raw materials (some going up as much as 25%), will, of course, be passed on to consumers. So, expect the prices of top of the line bikes to jump over the next few months.

My new bike is primarily titanium with some carbon fiber. I'm glad I'm done with bike buying for the next couple of years (until the next bout of bike-envy kicks in).

3 Comments:

  • At 10:34 AM, Blogger PsycleSteve said…

    MoC
    Titanium should outlast you, unless of course you try to pull another one of those "I'll just ignore the traffic light/stop sign" stunts like you did last year. Unfortunately though, even in that case, it will still probably outlast you.

     
  • At 3:16 PM, Blogger PsycleSteve said…

    Moc
    Sad state of human affairs (myself included).
    Have an Acura, long for a Lexus. Have a Lexus, long for a Jag. Have a Jag, long for a Rolls.
    Kohelet is alive and well.

     
  • At 4:54 PM, Blogger PsycleSteve said…

    I'm not into cars either - or any other of the "usual" taiva's. I do have an almost $10k bike already. It's great, but in all honesty is probably less than 10% better than my $3500 bike. Control your taivos ("ayzahoo gibor").

     

Post a Comment

<< Home