MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Thursday, March 08, 2007

Senior Moment: "Please Call Me Mo"

I am supervising the filing of an amicus (friend of the court) brief in New York State court. I gave the assignment to a prominent Wall Street firm and capped the fees at a very reasonable rate (Firms are willing to do work for me because these assignments are prestigious and good marketing opportunities).

In order to keep costs down they gave the nitty gritty work to a young associate who bills out at a rate much lower than that of a partner (the work is supervised by a partner and, ultimately, me). I spoke to her a few times. She was very bright but sounded awfully young.

I looked her up on the firm's website and calculated that that she was born when I went to law school. !!!

Later that day, she sent me an email with the first draft of the pleadings attached. "Hello Mr. Chassid..."

She sure knows how to hurt a guy.

I responded that I thought the work was excellent and that she should call me Mo.

Labels:

7 Comments:

  • At 10:53 AM, Blogger and so it shall be... said…

    Dear Mo,

    How would she even have had that reference to mistakenly use?

    Do you typically introduce yourself at Mr. Mo Chassid?

    Sincerely,

    I. M. Still Wonderin'

     
  • At 12:05 PM, Blogger Dataman said…

    Yikes! You're kidding, right? He obviously used his real name when this happened.

     
  • At 12:32 PM, Blogger DovBear said…

    Who else is wondering if she is hot?

    :)

     
  • At 12:50 PM, Blogger Fern @ Life on the Balcony said…

    Dataman--Eh....I think "I.M. Still Wonderin" was joking as well.

    Mo/Mr. Chassid--I find the whole "what should I call people who are higher up the food chain" problem very confusing. Some bosses and other big fishes want to be called "sir" or "Mr. ______" and then there are the guys who want to be called by their first names. So what is a lowly peon supposed to do? Risk looking like a jerk by presuming that it is okay to call your boss by his first name or risk making him feel old by using a more polite address?

     
  • At 1:09 PM, Blogger and so it shall be... said…

    Yikes! You're kidding, right? He obviously used his real name when this happened.

    No. Sadly, I was not. Only after reading the post a second time, in the context of your justified exclamation of revulsion and shock, do I realize that I am a complete moron.

    Dataman--Eh....I think "I.M. Still Wonderin" was joking as well.

    Fern, sorry to let you down, but thanks for your support. You're good people!

     
  • At 9:53 AM, Blogger MoChassid said…

    Fern

    I sympathize. Ms. Young Associate did the right thing. I'm the one with the age problem.

    DB, if you behave, I'll send you the link when I get back from my trip. You can then decide for yourself.

     
  • At 9:47 PM, Blogger Steg (dos iz nit der šteg) said…

    i like it when my students call me Mr. Dos Iz Nit Der Šteg instead of just 'Steg'. hierarchy gives me an ego boost ;-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home