MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Design Genius

When the Long Island Railroad unveiled its new cars a number of years ago, the first thing that hit me was how awfully designed they were. The seats were even closer together (and, lest you forget, a lack of leg room is generally not a very big issue for me) yet there seemed to be even fewer seats. I wondered, what were they thinking?

Well, today, the incredible thoughtlessness of the design came out for me. I am travelling later today and I brought an overnight bag. Not a huge bag, in fact, a fairly small one. Not an overstuffed one, but one that was packed tightly (I'm only going for one night). Nevertheless, it didn't come close to fiting in the overhead luggage rack. So, I had to put it on the seat next to me. (Luckily, the train was not packed so this didn't cause a problem).

Again, I ask, what were they thinking?

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At 2:24 PM, Blogger and so it shall be... said…

    You didn't mention the best part of the ingenious design ...

    How many pairs of pants have you destroyed on those astoundingly moronic arm rests?

    ... and don't think the MTA makes getting compensated for their stupidity easy. They created so many hoops to jump through it is literally not worth the time or energy to pursue.

     
  • At 1:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh, the joys of public transportation. What fun.

     
  • At 4:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The unaccomodating luggage racks are the biggest blessing in the new train design.

    Against my better judgment, I forced a bag I was carrying into that small space, only to forget it was there when I got off the train. (No, I never did get it back, despite numerous inquiries with conductors and repeated phone calls and visits to the lost and found.)

    Placing any belongings on those overhead racks is a recipe for disaster. (If you don't believe me, check out how many bags and personal belongings the lost and found receives every day, not to mention how many they don't receive.) The human mind just doesn't have the capacity to always remember the bag stowed overhead before exiting the train.

     
  • At 12:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The LIRR has been working closely with Metro North on the development of a
    prototype modified armrest. Recently, Metro North installed the prototype on two
    of their M-7 cars. If the prototype proves successful, both the LIRR and Metro
    North plan to retrofit our respective M-7 fleets.

    We appreciate your patronage and hope that your experiences with the LIRR will
    be more satisfactory in the future.

    Sincerely,
    Susan McGowan
    LIRR Public Affairs Department

     

Post a Comment

<< Home