MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Fleishig Reinforcement

With Shavuos quickly approaching, it was time to take profilactic action. I stopped at Kosher Delight for lunch. I ordered a dark meat snack box (and received a white meat snack box but that's another story) and a chicken soup.

Now, I'm not one of those chevra that usually eats a massive fleishig meal on Erev Shabbos or Erev Yom Tov; but this is different. It's the dairy holiday. Not that there's anything wrong with baked ziti, don't get me wrong. But, you know what I mean.

But, one must do what one must do and three pieces of fried chicken and soup seemed just about right.

Indeed, just yesterday, I was informed by my lovely and holy wife that, despite having just spent Sunday evening assisting her with the massive new chicken soup batch, Shavuous would be chicken-soup-less and that I would have to wait for Friday night to taste the spoils of her efforts. Needless to say, this came as quite a shock. I tried to protest but, seeing that my protest was falling on unsympathetic ears, I quickly retreated.

So, sadly, I was reduced to settling for the KD chicken soup which, truth be told, is pretty good 'though barely in the same class as MHW's splendid brew.

So, having fortified myself with the Final Fleishig Meal, I boldly leap into Shavuous.

Cheese Blintzes anyone?

Labels:

6 Comments:

  • At 2:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have four dairy meals ahead of me. Dougies Grilled Chicken was had for lunch.

     
  • At 7:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Is dairy that bad?

    The soup sounds more tempting each time... :)

     
  • At 10:47 PM, Blogger uberimma said…

    I love Shavuos. Love, love, love. I can cook, I can carry, I can make food my kids will eat! And I can make Hungarian food, which I never bother with when I'm doing fleishigs because sorry, without sour cream there's no point. We had gombaleves, we had galuska, we had uborkasalata, and if you don't know what those are you don't know what you're missing.

    Mmm. Shavuos. Mmm. Leftovers!

     
  • At 8:20 AM, Blogger Izbitza said…

    Down south (Boca) we got away with only one milchig meal- sympathetic to my cause- my wife tried to make tofu/beef lo mein-
    The noodles were great- the tofu was tasteless. Oh well.

     
  • At 1:19 PM, Blogger MoChassid said…

    Uber

    That's such a predictable chick's response.

     
  • At 4:39 PM, Blogger Shira Salamone said…

    Or maybe that's just a predictable *cook's* response. For almost two decades, we had fish almost every Erev Shabbat and Yom Tov because our son couldn't stand fleishigs. You will notice that I said *son.* This isn't just a "chick" thing.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home