MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Monday, May 07, 2007

MoC: Halachic Decisor

During sefirah, I made a halachic decision regarding music.

Whenever you take The Toddler in the car, she immediately requests (ok, demands) that we put on music. She does this by waving her right fist left and right, like a good Chassid. And, since she is basically running the show, we usually (ok, always) comply.

So, what do we do during sefirah when we are prohibitted from listening to music? Well, MHW came up with the idea of purchasing *gulp* an Uncle Moishe CD and *gulp, gulp* a Marvelous Midos Machine CD.

MHW asked whether I thought this was halachically permissible. I ruled emphtically that it was, indeed, permissible. In fact, I ruled that, since listening to these CDs is actually painful for adults, it was in the spirit of sefirah to listen.

Problem solved.

Thankfully, with the coming of Lag B'Omer, we are back to our regular collection of CDs.

(The truth is that the Uncle Moishe CD, in particular, is very cute and The Toddler is very into it. Just don't keep sharp objects around when I am in the car and that CD is playing).

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

  • At 10:36 AM, Blogger OOS said…

    Dad,

    I think you may be the next gadol hador. I heard basically the same thing in the name of R' Nevenztal.

     
  • At 10:39 AM, Blogger MoChassid said…

    OOS:

    LOL

     
  • At 11:03 PM, Blogger Jewboy said…

    Personally, with my almost two year old I opted for Sesame Street instead of Uncle Moishe and its ilk. Also painful, but perhaps less so. (Truth be told, I'm a closet Marvelous Middos Machine fan).

     
  • At 12:32 AM, Blogger MoChassid said…

    jewboy

    Don't tell anyone, but OOD also loves the Marvelous Midos Machine.

     
  • At 9:56 PM, Blogger uberimma said…

    I find the Counting Song has grown on me. And my cell phone ringtone is my kid singing Hashem Is Here.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home