MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Sunday, November 04, 2007

Has Anybody Seen My Bike?

I'm back, finally. Lot's to talk about but I will probably be exteremely busy over the next few days and will have to dribble out my deep thoughts.

To summarize:

* The bike ride was great in many ways and extremely frustrating in others. Personally, I rode pretty well; much better than last year.

* The new CD is on sale in Israel and seems to be picking up a lot of steam. I haqve absolutely no idea how it's doing here.

* The Ashkenaz Shul in Yemin Moshe is as strange, in its MO way, as my shul is in its way.

* Israel is a very strange country in so many ways.

* The dollar is sucking wind, even in Israel, where it doesn't even buy you four shekels.

* The mechanics on the ride packed the wrong bike in my bike box. I discovered this motsai Shabbos before leaving for the airport. I have someone's Trek OCLV Carbon 110. Someone has my Litespeed Teramo titanium. This is not good. I am not yet freaking out because I assume someone, somewhere, will notice that they have the wrong bike. I also had no intention of riding a bike for a while owing to the soreness of a certain part of my anatomy that makes contact with a bike seat.

More later.

Labels:

7 Comments:

  • At 1:03 AM, Blogger PsycleSteve said…

    I also enjoyed the ride more than last year-probably because I slept a lot better (accommodations were quite decent as opposed to the POW camps we stayed in last year).

    I'm still in Israel dealing with the apt, will be leaving tonight. Have yahrtzeit today - wound up in some Moroccan/Tunisian shul. I think I said kaddish in the correct place in the correct language. No way I could have davened for the amud. Anyway, the intent was there...

    Between the ride and the last few days dealing with the Israeli contractors/plumbers/electricians, your comment about Israel being a very strange country is quite the understatement.

    The dollar IS sucking wind, which is why we stayed at my FIL as opposed to a hotel. On the flipside, my apt is now worth significantly more in dollars.

    Despite a rather uneventful ride, Alyn had to end the ride in their usual exasperating manner (it's almost as if they feel compelled to get you to leave with a bad taste in your mouth). As you remember, there were two areas in which to leave the bikes, those leaving Israel on a flight that evening, and everybody else. My daughter was leaving that night so we placed our bikes in the appropriate rack and began to leave to attend the ceremony. We were stopped and told that the "express" rack is only for those using Alyn's airport bus and that we'd have to put our bikes with the others. We pointed out that my daughter is on the same flight as those on the Alyn bus and her bike will not be ready on time. The Israelis in charge simply shrugged and mumbled "kacha hachlitu" - so it's been decided.

    While my wife was being driven to tears, my 16 y/o daughter flipped open her phone, contacted one of the mechanics who were hitting on her throughout the ride (much to my dismay) and in 15 minutes we were out of there - bikes packed and ceremony just warming up. Oh, the advantages of being leggy, blond and beautiful in Israel... As usual, I swore I'll never do this again, my daughter insisting that we will be back next year.

    It was good seeing you again. I heard from others that you were riding strong. I was very proud of my wife, and especially my daughter who both made it up all those monstrous climbs without even stopping.

     
  • At 10:00 AM, Blogger MoChassid said…

    I'm with your daughter.

    BTW, I have a nice picture of the two of you that I'll email tonight.

    I had a similar experience with my bike which is probably why it's lost. I brought it down to the garage so that I could match it up with my box. Gil told me they were too busy and that I should bring it back up and leave it on the rack.

     
  • At 12:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Israel a strange country? What could possibly make you say that?

    It's the best Jewish country in the world and look at the free entertainment it offers.

    Too bad you don't have the thrill of living here permanently.

     
  • At 1:14 PM, Blogger OOS said…

    oh anon, I truly hope you really meant that last line. It would make your comment so much more entertaining.

     
  • At 11:09 PM, Blogger Jacob Da Jew said…

    Good to have you back.

    Looking forward to hearing about the ride.

    I couldn't imagine doing it :(

     
  • At 1:08 PM, Blogger DovBear said…

    The Ashkenaz Shul in Yemin Moshe is as strange, in its MO way, as my shul is in its way.

    Your shul isn't MO? Says who?

     
  • At 2:44 PM, Blogger MoChassid said…

    DovBear, I'm confused. Last time we had an argument that the shul was a shteibel. You finally conceded. Now you're arguing that it's MO?

    It's not MO and it's not chareidi. It's just weird.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home