MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

No Food Month

Over the years, I have posted from time to time about how fortunate we are that we stay home for Pesach. The mere thought of going away makes me shudder.

On the other hand, staying home is very hard work, particularly for MHW (but even for me, especially as I get older, with all the shlepping).

Nevertheless, it's a happy trade off for all of us.

But there's one other aspect of Pesach preparation that goes largely unnoticed. Starting after Purim, the food supply in the house starts to dwindle. By the week before Pesach our home is a total No Food Zone.

Already this past Shabbos we had to eat bakery challah rather than MHW's scrumptious home brew (MHW didn't want to bake a whole new batch of challahs; this would mean challahs left over for Pesach. Luckily, I happen to like Zomick's challah, so it wasn't the end of the world).

Pretzels are no longer to be found anywhere in chez MoChassid.

The spaghetti supply is getting low; replacements at this point are doubtful.

You get the idea.

But we can handle this for another 2 plus weeks. We just have to think about how the Master of the Universe will appreciate our mesiras nefesh.

On the other hand, there's always Mendys at Grand Central Station.

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 3:57 PM, Blogger Shira Salamone said…

    We're currently doing some serious work on the contents of the freezer. We hope to be totally chametz-free (we'll sell all our chametz through the rabbi, in any case, but it feels weird to have pasta in the taped-closed cabinet, even if we don't own it during Pesach) by b'dikat chametz time. Unfortunately, the kitniot situation is hopeless--I bought too much kasha!

     
  • At 5:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It's bad in my house as well! My wife thinks by having any cold cereal boxes 30 days before Pesach is chancy. I try to explain to her that I could knock off a big box a cheerios in a couple of days! My son complains there's not a morsel of food in the house, and nosh! forget about it, that's out of the house right after the Super Bowl!I asked permission if I could by the mini croƻtons that go in the soup,not a chance!

     
  • At 3:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i really feel bad for all you men...
    thank your lucky stars that you were born a male and therefore your biggest problem with this season is this...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home