MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Monday, April 19, 2004

Talmid Chacham in Residence II

On Friday, I posted about the Shabbos visit of Rav Asher Weiss, shlit'a, to the Young Israel of Woodmere. I posited that MO kehilahs are much better off hearing divrei Torah from tzaddikim like Rav Weiss than their usual fare, divrei politics and ideology from politicians and academics.

Apparently, I was correct, at least in this case. From accounts that I have heard, the visit was a huge success. Rav Weiss, a Kloisenberg Chassid who is a tremendous talmid chacham and inspiring speaker, attracted very large crowds to all three of his shmuezen and made quite an impression on the kehilah.

I continue to believe that Yiddin, even the most MO, are seeking more meaning, more spirituality, more p'nimius in their lives. The leaders need to understand and act upon this need.