MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Sunday, April 18, 2004

I Love to Ride My Bi-Cy-Cle

What a day!

I got up at dawn this morning and drove to Central Park with my 15-year-old Schwinn Circuit road bike strapped to the back of my car. It was 60 degrees by 6:45 a.m.

Central Park at this time of the year is one of the wonders of creation. All the fruit trees are in bloom and signs of Spring abound. When I finally make it over to Eretz Yisrael (May it be soon), this is one of the places I will miss the most. I have run countless miles here (once with Bill Clinton around the Reservoir, but that's another story), competed in many New York Road Runners races (if you call finishing smack in the middle of the pack competing), finished two New York Marathons across from Tavern on the Green (is it ten years ago already? My knees are still sore) and biked around the perimiter road on many early Sunday mornings. I love the place.

I just started training for a 5 day bike tour in Eretz Yisrael that takes place in late October. From the Negev to Jerusalem. Gevalt!

The terrain is pancake flat where I live so I need to find some hills. Central Park has some nasty hills, especially in the North end. Not like climbing the road to Jerusalem, but it's a start.

This was my first time out this season so I only did three laps, 18 miles. I thought I was in good shape but I'm pretty tired. Although I was cranking at a decent pace, I got passed by a whole bunch of Amazon men (and some Amazon women). Some of them made me feel as though I were on a stationary bike. It must be my bike. Or maybe it's me. Or maybe both. I guess I should take comfort from the fact that the guys dropping me were probably 20 years younger and their bikes weigh half what mine does.

Not that I have anything against my bike. It's one of the best purchases I've ever made. It has stood by me for 15 years. It's never broken down, not once. We've done a lot of good rides together. I love my bike. But, by today's standards it's really heavy. I would trade it in for a new Trek in a New York minute. I just can't see spending $2,000 on a new bike right now. It looks like my Schwinn and I will be off to Israel in the Fall.

I thank Hashem for mornings like this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home