MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Monday, September 25, 2006

Random Post Rosh Hashanah Thoughts

* One of the hardest things for a shul to do is get past its origins. Hamayvin yavin.

* Eitan Katz led the shachris davening on the second day of Yom Tov. This is his third year at the shul, and he seems to have matured in a profound way. It was the sweetest, most inspirational davening that I have ever heard. I was blown away.

* The WQ is my shul during the Rosh Hashanah seems to have been way down. This suggests that some of the stranger people that frequent our shul are guests or non-members. (This is not to suggest that the WQ was not high, just that it wasn't off the charts as it often is on Friday nights and during the third meal).

* While I have never been known for my patience, I must be getting old and even more ornery than usual. Although our ba'al musaf is a talmid chacham whom I dearly love and respect and who has a beautiful voice and davens with amazing kavanah, he is also, how shall I say it....slow. It used to not bother me at all. This year, however, I found myself having a hard time holding kup for the last half hour.

* I don't like fast days.

Labels:

9 Comments:

  • At 12:59 PM, Blogger rescue37 said…

    what time did you start and finish? Any break in the middle?

     
  • At 1:23 PM, Blogger Just Passing Through said…

    1:55 on Sunday? Methinks it was more like 2:15. Half-hour drasha didn't help.
    I always found it funny how the downstairs minyan finishes 1.5 hours before the upstairs one, yet starts 1/2 hour later.

     
  • At 1:25 PM, Blogger rescue37 said…

    Doesn't sound to bad. My shul was 8:00 to 2:00 and 2:30 with a break for approx 20 minutes for kiddush and shofar for women.

     
  • At 2:57 PM, Blogger Just Passing Through said…

    MO, I guess it depends if you are factoring the end-game rain dance :-)

     
  • At 3:30 PM, Blogger and so it shall be... said…

    rain dance? you mean the rhythmic clomping that evokes visions of stampeding elephant for those still downstairs?

     
  • At 3:51 PM, Blogger Just Passing Through said…

    "rain dance? you mean the rhythmic clomping that evokes visions of stampeding elephant for those still downstairs?"

    Can't be that SW. By the time the rain dance begins, those who davened downstairs are already long gone

     
  • At 9:04 PM, Blogger FrumWithQuestions said…

    I have also never heard of the WQ. I find that the more friendly the shul the more whackos you get. The friendly shuls accept these people with open arms and the non friendly shuls stare and make fun of.

     
  • At 10:31 PM, Blogger PsycleSteve said…

    During the drasha on Sunday the rav of our shul quoted both the renegade rebbetzin and the author of the book "holy fire" which inspired the name of your shul. Scary...

     
  • At 10:58 AM, Blogger rescue37 said…

    maybe renreb is the rebbitzen of your shul.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home