MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Thursday, September 21, 2006

I've Had All I Can Stands...

...And I can't stands no more.

One of the (few) benefits of travelling to London as frequently as I do is that, because of the excellent duty free stores at Heathrow, I am able to build up my single malt scotch collection at a fraction of what it would otherwise cost.

So, much to my horror, I was told this morning that, since I was travelling into the U.S., I would not be permitted to purchase any scotch because, as is well known, scotch is liquid and liquids are verbotten on flights from London to New York. This was particularly sad because they are running a very good sale on scotch, two (excellent) bottles for £45.

We all know that the airport security regime is ridiculous (other than El Al). They continue to search for things rather than people and that is pretty much a waste of time and money. But can anyone explain to why I can't buy a bottle of scotch (or two) AFTER I've already been checked through security? The scotch itself has also been cleared through security.

I'm a team player and I'm generally happy to put up with the usual airport security silliness but this is ridiculous. Can't anyone exercise common sense anymore?

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • At 10:37 AM, Blogger PsycleSteve said…

    Confused. If the duty free shop can't sell liquids (liquor,perfume,etc)to anyone, what's the point of displaying it??

     
  • At 11:33 AM, Blogger uberimma said…

    The short answer to your question is no.

     
  • At 4:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I would suggest that you contact the owner of duty free shop and suggest that they arrange for the option of picking up the merchandise at the destination. It shouldn't be that hard to have a profit sharing arrangement put into place for all the duty free shops.

    Although the problem you encountered is probably the reason the Scotch was on sale in the first place.

     
  • At 9:13 PM, Blogger Jack Steiner said…

    Good single malt scotch is worth the trouble.

     
  • At 10:40 AM, Blogger Bazza said…

    Hey, I object to you saying there are few benefits in flying to London frequently!
    London has plenty of compensating factors. On the other hand, I agree with you about the liquids ban - it's going too far.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home