MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

The Nassau Community College of Cities

In one of his most inspired moments, DovBear referred to my shul as the Nassau Community College of shuls, meaning, of course, that we let anyone in. (I'm too lazy to find the link).

Having just spent a weekend in Jerusalem, it occurred to me that Jerusalem is the Nassau Community College of cities. This occured to me intially as I was davening in the shul in Yemin Moshe. What a sketchy place. There is barely a minyan at the start of the 8:15 on Shabbos, barely two minyanim my Barchu but the place is full by the end. There are a few Dati Leumis, a number of Chassidim (they must have made a left instead of a right on their way to the Koisel), lots of Anglo olim, and a bunch of Americans (who almost invariably go native when they come to Israel, wearing khaki pants Izod shirts instead of a suit or at least a white shirt and slacks). Lot's of strange looking people across all sectors.

My ha'arah was clinched when I spent a couple of days in Nachlaot, the Kodesh Kedoshim of sketchiness. Don't get me wrong, I love the place. But let's all admit that it is way up there in the WQ. Maybe that's why I felt so at home.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home