MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

The Wheels of Justice Turn Slowly

I attended a hearing in Family Court yesterday regarding The Toddler. This was the first time I got to meet the judge and all the lawyers involved in the case. The good news is that I think the judge really gets it and wants to do the right thing. The bad news is that the wheels of justice turn v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y.

I can't really say much more except that the status quo has been extended until at least February.

I previously posted that, when TT first came to us, my aunt called to say that she knew a young childless couple who was interested in adopting and asked about TT. I told her that I thought taking TT would be a terrible idea because it was by no means clear whether she would be up for adoption and how long such a process might take. Of course, at that time neither MHW nor I had any idea that we would even be in the parsha of adoption. We were 50-year-old foster parents, not pre-adoptive parents (at least I was 50; MHW is a few years younger). Twenty-five months later, we still don't know how long such a process might take.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 1:13 PM, Blogger uberimma said…

    The longer she is with you, the harder it will be to justify taking her away. If you have a judge who gets it, then that's a good thing.

    I feel terrible for her birth mother, though.

     
  • At 3:33 PM, Blogger MoChassid said…

    Uber

    I'm not sure it works that way, sadly. If the mother is capable of taking her back, I think the mother gets to take her back no matter how long we've cared for her.

    While we also feel terrible for the BM, we are obviously much more concerned for the well-being of TT.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home