MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Thursday, December 27, 2007

Coming Back

I am in the El Al lounge, on my way back from three wonderful days at the Mother Ship with OYS.

With my Blackberry barely ringing (you didn't expect me to turn it off, did you), I had the rare opportunity to wind down and relax. Spending three days learning with OYS (and I use that word in its loosest sense) has been a bracha. OYS is, B'H, doing great. He is amazingly diligent, working very hard and keeping his days unbelievably full.

I don't know why this should surprise me, but, I have to admit, it did. I think this is entirely my fault. I discussed this at dinner last night with Ben and David (I also admonished the literally striking Ben for not posting despite the fact that he hasn't worked (at least in his regular job) the whole semester; he promised to do teshuva). (And another thing. I don't want to say their steak was big but they had to bring it in through the window; it wouldn't fit through the door).

My theory is that we tend to treat our older children differently than our younger ones. Thus, I always viewed OOS and OOD as mature while viewing OYS and OYD as less so. Well, as OYS might put it, he certainly rocked me the past three days. His focus and maturity are very impressive.

My chilled out demeanor was interrupted this morning when a holy Jew From The Ayalon Valley asked me to speak to the boys as a replacement for one of the Rebbes who just had a baby and was otherwise occupied. So, rather than hanging out all morning and making believe I was learning, I had to actually prepare a shmueze.

The good news is that I frequently speak before big crowds so I don't get nervous. The bad news is that I am basically an am ha'aretz and had to make it seem like I knew what I was talking about. With the help of a Torah that I once learned from my Rebbe, I think I pulled it off.

Anyway, I am looking forward to seeing the gaggle of girls that awaits me at home.

(An aside: There is an angry, vicious, self-hating blowhard within earshot of me in the terminal who is giving his older parents an unbeliveably hard time. My heart goes out to them to the extent they aren't the reason he's an angry, vicious, self-hating blowhard (and even if they are). Hashem Yirachem).

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 9:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    May Hashem protect us from all angry vicious self hating blowhards, and show him the light speedily in our days. nice post. Where was the steak from? what was the torah from the rebbe?Brad

     
  • At 4:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    seriously, where was the steak from? Im in israel for the next couple of weeks and i could use some israeli window steak.Brad

     

Post a Comment

<< Home