MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Sunday, February 17, 2008

Black Hat Story

Although I own a black hat, I almost never wear it. I experimented with wearing one on Shabbos a number of years ago but I never felt comfortable, both literally and figuratively. I didn't like wearing a hat indoors and I didn't feel that it was "matim li". I just wasn't a black-hatter.

Yesterday, however, it was so cold in the morning that I decided to dig the black hat out of the closet and wear it to shul. It is definitely warmer than my baseball cap.

When I got back from shul and walked in the door, The Toddler, as usual, was there to greet me with her big smile and loud enthusiasm. She took one look at me in my black fedora and screamed out, "Abba's wearing a man's hat! Abba's wearing a man's hat!"

We all started laughing (which, of course, triggered repeated refrains of "Abba's wearing a man's hat) and finally, I said, "Yes, TT, Abba's is wearing a man's hat."

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

  • At 5:46 PM, Blogger megapixel said…

    Is she biologically from a "yeshivish" background?

     
  • At 7:16 PM, Blogger MoChassid said…

    megapixel.

    LOL. Actually, no, not at all.

     
  • At 9:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Does that mean that you will be listening to shiny shoe music next??

     
  • At 10:50 PM, Blogger therapydoc said…

    Everyone loves a guy in uniform.

     
  • At 10:28 AM, Blogger Jameel @ The Muqata said…

    MoC: I used to have a black hat...but I think it flew out the my car window once in Washington Heights, and I never bothered to look for it.

    If I would wear a suit or a tie today, I'm sure I'd get the same response from my kids as you got about your hat....

     
  • At 12:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Whole idea of wearing a hat inside is idiotic, and a corruption of too many things to count.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home