MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Stevie Wonder and the Closet Shiny Shoe-er

I started to suspect that OOD was a closet shiny shoe music fan a couple of years ago but I kept it to myself. Not that she doesn't appreciate Carlebach et al; she does. But she also liked to occasionally listen to some other Jewish musicians who who dress in Armani Suits and shiny black shoes, wear hocker glasses, are pudgy and sound like the Chipmunks (or some combination thereof). Over time, I could deny it no longer; OOD is a shiny shoe music fan.

As a parent, one must continue to show unconditional love and acceptance despite this chisaron, and hope that, one day, OOD will see the light and come back to the proper music derech.

Then, this morning, I heard something that both surprised me and gave me hope. OOD and The Toddler were dancing to a Stevie Wonder song off her iPod. Stevie Wonder? Where did that come from?

I don't think I had ever heard OOD play a rock song. Ever. Stevie Wonder?

It turns out that her very good friend hooked her up. She purchased a couple of songs on iTunes.

L'maisa, I used to love Stevie Wonder. (I actually saw him open up for the Rolling Stones in Madison Square Garden about 35 years ago).

I told OOD that I approved. I noted that Stevie Wonder played b'simcha rabbah, and that I'd rather that she listen to Stevie Wonder than to shiny shoe stuff.

Could this be the beginning of her return?

Labels:

6 Comments:

  • At 4:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Which Stevie song?

     
  • At 5:20 PM, Blogger MoChassid said…

    Sir Duke and I just Called to Say I love you. Pretty shiny now that I think about it.

     
  • At 5:23 PM, Blogger MoChassid said…

    BTW, you didn't think it was going to be "Living For The City", did you?

     
  • At 7:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    a baalas teshuva in the making, huh?

     
  • At 10:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Why do you despise what you call "shiny shoe" music to such an extent? People have different tastes, eilu v'eilu, y'know?

     
  • At 11:35 PM, Blogger MoChassid said…

    anon 10:37

    I despise shiny shoe music because I despise shiny shoe music. You are mixing up two issues. I understand that people have different tatses. Ailu v'eilu has nothing to do with what I like or despise. People can listen to shiny shoe music all day long, gezunter haight. (Indeed, most people in the world like terrible music, Jewish and secular). That has nothing to do with what I like or dislike.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home