MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Monday, June 12, 2006

Meanness Poll

I noted recently that the fellow who sued my shul and our contractor suffered a crushing defeat at the hands of a jury.

Before testifying, I received a check for $15 from his attorney as the statutory fee that he is obliged to pay me to testify. I still haven't deposited it.

After learning of his humiliating defeat, I was tempted to endorse the check and send it to the plaintiff with a note, "I understand you lost. Enclosed is your attorney's check for $15. I figure you can use this more than I."

Here's my question.

Should I do it or is it too mean? Remember, this guy tormented the shul and me for years. I had to miss four days of work for depositions and testimony.

Readers, you decide.

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 11:34 PM, Blogger DovBear said…

    I figure you can use this more than I."

    Can't make a decision until we have more details: did the shul screw him? (be honest) My experience tells me that shuls always screw their near neighbors. Between the noise and construction debris and so on, living next to a shul is no picnic.

     
  • At 10:37 AM, Blogger Just Passing Through said…

    Not just next to a shul. If it's the neighbor I'm thinking about, his house is now between a shul and the shul's parking lot. Sucks for him, but as I understand it, he was offered a fair price- one he'll never get again since he's surrounded by the shul.

     
  • At 9:09 PM, Blogger MoChassid said…

    Kishke

    For some reason, he missed the boat at the zoning level.

    We would have gotten the zoning approval anyway; we had a strong case.

    I will just deposit the check and give the money to the shul.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home