MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Pulling an "Uppa"

My dad, z'l, was big Mets fan. While he liked going to the ball park occasionally, he liked getting out of the parking lot quickly more than anything. Whether the Mets won or lost was second in importance to whether he got back on to the Van Vyck quickly. So, as my brother once quipped, growing up we thought that Major League games only went 7 innings.

So, last night he and I went to Shea with OYD and her friend. And a dreadful game it was. Tom Glavine was essentially pitching batting practice and after one half inning the Mets were down 4-0. It got worse. In the top of the seventh, down 6-3, the Mets brought in Sosa who promptly game up two more runs. My brother and I, who each inherited my father's distaste for lines, etc., decided we had seen enough. The girls did not seem to care so we left after the Mets batted in the 7th.

As my brother described it, we "pulled an Uppa" (Uppa being the name that all his grandchildren, and then his children, called my dad).

There were smiles on our faces as we got onto the Van Wyck in less than five minutes.

We were home in plenty of time to see the Mets make a valiant, but unsuccessful, effort to come back, scoring six in the ninth but losing 10-9.

Uppa would have been proud.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • At 10:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i am so philsophically oppposed to leaving games early, even if i dont root the teams. But then again i usually public ttranportation it to games, so theres way less wait time.but see what happened, u missed the best part of the game when the mets almost came back. if u had missed them actually coming back u wouldnt have been annoyed??thats the part of the game where the stadium is alive.I actually had tickets to that game but i gave em away toa friend.gut moed.

     
  • At 10:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    sorry, that was Brad

     
  • At 7:44 PM, Blogger MoChassid said…

    Brad

    I would not have cared one iota. I gave them seven innings; they were miserable. I left.

    It's that simple.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home