MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Monday, September 15, 2008

Strange Days Indeed...

Most Peculiar Moma.

1. Yesterday, I rode in the Golden Apple century bike ride starting in Goldens Bridge, New York (Westchester). I was originally planning to do 75 miles (the maximum was 125). In the middle of the ride I decided I wanted to finish sooner and switched after a rest stop to the 50 mile route. (That would have meant a total of 56 miles).

Somehow, I got lost towards the end of the route. I found myself back on the 75 mile route. At the end of the day, my mileage was 78 miles. Sheesh.

2. In the car on the way home, I fielded a call from one of my board members regarding a certain investment bank that has been making the news. I spent a good portion of Sunday afternoon and evening on conference calls.

3. During the day, I got an email from The Great Joe Schick asking me whether I was purposely losing my Fantasy Football game or whether I was just oblivious to the fact that the Houston-Baltimore game had been postponed (Three of my starters are from Houston). Truthfully, I did hear that in passing on motsai Shabbos but I didn't give it any thought because (i) I just assumed (incorrectly) that the scoring for the week would be deferred until that game was actually played, and (ii) I was busy preparing for the next morning's bike ride (You have no idea what my pre-ride hachanos are; one day I will post about them). In any event, since I got back from my ride way too late and I was engaged in some "issues" at work, I didn't do anything and will lose this week in a match that I might have had a shot at winning.

4. Today was one of the craziest days in my professional career. It's ugly out there.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

  • At 6:19 PM, Blogger Noyam said…

    in a match that I might have had a shot at winning

    We take our victories as they come, but we were confident before Hurricane Ike. :-)

     
  • At 7:49 PM, Blogger PsycleSteve said…

    I also did the Golden Apple (125 miles-which wound up being 131 hot humid miles). Gellman from Teaneck was there with his brother in law. He did the 75 mile ride and ran into him on three separate occasions (both routes share the same rest stops). He'll be joining you on the Alyn challenge route this year.

    Wish you would have let me know you were going, haven't seen you in awhile :-(

     
  • At 9:07 PM, Blogger MoChassid said…

    Steve

    Pretty tough ride although I felt pretty strong considering the humidity.

    Sorry about not calling. Should have known you'd be there (and that you'd be nuts enough to do 125).

     
  • At 9:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    lets hear more about ur perceptions about whats gonna be with the banking industry. Its fascinating me right now.(mainly bc none of my money is really invested in America)Brad

     
  • At 9:37 PM, Blogger PsycleSteve said…

    "you'd be nuts enough to do 125"

    RL said the same thing. There was a 35 mile stretch on the ride without a rest stop. Temp was over 90 at that point and I ran out of water. Was drinking all last night and today. Lost 3 lbs. Still have a headache...

    Sound like you've become MoC the Magnificent on the bike this year!

     
  • At 8:16 AM, Blogger MoChassid said…

    PS:

    I've had a pretty shtark year on the bike. (But I would still pass on 125 miles in 90 degree heat with very high humidity. That's gadol hador territory).

    Also, while I know it's very "sissy" for a road biker to ride with a Camelbak, I NEVER run out of water. I carry more than 60 ounces of fluid on my back AND a water bottle.

    (I've also gotten into the hammer nutrition stuff which seems to have helped alot).

    Perhaps the weight slows me down but how much slower can you get than I already am?

    Anon 9:29

    If I knew what was going to happen, I wouldn't be doing what I'm doing. I'm sure there will be more ugliness; I just don't know how much longer it will last.

     
  • At 1:35 PM, Blogger rescue37 said…

    how about a little synopsis of you're preperations? I am planning on riding 50 miles in the twin lihts bikeride on 9/28 (the most I ever rode was 30) and some advice on preperation would be helpful

     

Post a Comment

<< Home