MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Friday, February 23, 2007

More on Mom UPDATED

I am fascinated at many levels by the goings on at Orthomom regarding the Pam Greenbaum lawsuit.

Let me summarize my thoughts.

1. PG will come out of this a laughingstock. Her lawsuit is completely baseless. It is being prosecuted by a lawyer who is probably comfortable pursuing a traffic accident case but is completely over his head in a libel suit. OM, on the other hand, will probably lawyer up with an expert from a top Manhattan firm. She will make mincemeat of PG's silly case. As soon as a motion to dismiss or motion for summary judgment is filed, it will be over. PG will be lucky if she doesn't have to pay OM's costs. Anyone who thinks that PG will prevail is smoking dope.

2. PG has publicized how silly she is. OM's hit numbers are off the chart, the story has been covered in every local newspaper and PG comes off looking like a thin-skinned clown. I think her career as a public servant has a very short half-life.

3. This kerfuffle has once again demonstrated the level of anger and frustration of the displaced elite that used to run District 15. They want their ball back but must know in their heart of hearts that it's over. They would be much better served if they just got over it and dealt with it.

4. At the end of the day, I still don't know what the big deal about OM's identity is. I started out anonymous three years ago but quickly realized that, because of the personal nature of my writing style, I would not be able to write anything worthwhile if I worried about my identity being revealed. Although I have certainly aggravated a few people over the years, I have experienced zero repercussions. I suspect the same would be true for OM. (I also suspect that, completely unrelated to PG's suit, it will be increasingly more difficult for OM to maintain the confidentiality of her identity. IMHO, that is the nature of the beast, particularly as you get more popular. Ultimately, I believe, OM will also have to make that choice).

UPDATE: A lawyer whose opinion I respect and who agrees that this lawsuit is ridiculous, is not so sure that it will be dismissed on motion. He thinks it is possible that the claim for defamation could get to a jury. Interesting. We will see. (In any event, Pam Greenbaum is finished).

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At 2:58 PM, Blogger DovBear said…

    is being prosecuted by a lawyer who is probably comfortable pursuing a traffic accident case but is completely over his head in a libel suit.

    That's an awsome observation, and the fact that he doesn't know how to work email and thinks that OM is running scared (see yid mit de lid) backs you up, but given this lawyer's track record aren't you worried he might sue you for libel?

    (If he does, kindly delete this comment.)

     
  • At 4:20 PM, Blogger MoChassid said…

    DB

    Two points. What's libelous? That he prosecutes traffic cases? Truth is an absolute defense.

    Second, my numbers might approach yours if he sued. Well worth it.

     
  • At 5:57 PM, Blogger Fern @ Life on the Balcony said…

    I don't understand how Greenbaum even found a lawyer to take her case. Even a lawyer whose practice revolves around prosecuting traffic violations should know that there hasn't been any sort of defamation here. Heck, even my bar review materials clearly state "A statement of opinion is actionable only if it appears to be based on specific facts, and an express allegation of those facts would be defamatory. Name-calling is insufficient."

    Besides, Google doesn't know who Orthomom is, so how is Greenbaum going to compel them to divulge information they don't have?

     
  • At 10:40 AM, Blogger Jack Steiner said…

    I still think that this is part of something else, that OM's case is a small part of a larger action.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home