MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Thursday, May 31, 2007

Window Seat

I almost never take the window seat on an airplane. Especially on a flight longer than two hours. If I can't get an aisle seat in advance, I usually beg the airline employees at the gate to get me an aisle seat.

Yesterday, however, on my flight back from Chicago, there I was in 14F. I had made it to the airport from downtown much faster than expected and got on to a much earlier flight. I had to take what was available. Thankfully, no one was sitting in the middle seat. That might have been too much to bear.

As it happens, the plane left on time and the flight was very pleasant.

Then, as we approached La Guardia, I was rewarded with a spectacular view of the entire length of Manhattan from the west as we flew over the Hudson River.

My, my. What a site. The view from the plane was spectacular. From the tall buildings downtown to the tall buildings in midtown, to the majestic Central Park (one of the seven wonders of the world?), it was quite a show.

Those of us who work in Manhattan take the grandeur of the city for granted. Yesterday's flight gave me a fresh perspective.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 8:03 PM, Blogger cyberdov said…

    In pre-9/11 days, there was a seldom-used flight path tat went right down the middle of Manhattan before doing a u-turn towards LGA. Now THAT was spectacular!

     
  • At 10:21 AM, Blogger MoChassid said…

    That was pretty much what it was. Straight up the Hudson up to Yonkers and then a U turn.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home