MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Monday, June 25, 2007

What's With The Fish?

I landed in Tokyo on Monday afternoon after setting out from JFK on Sunday morning. I did not get to my hotel room until around 6 p.m. I had pretzels and a chocolate bar for dinner. The next morning (after waking up at 3:30 a.m. and going to the gym at 5) I had three bowls of Rice Krispies. That was it for the day.

Sadly, the kosher meal on my flight from Tokyo to Hong Kong that evening was going to be my main meal of the day. (While there are kosher restaurants in Hong Kong, I was going to be arriving too late). You can imagine my disgust when the main course comes in the form of fish. Fish! What where they thinking? Airline food is bad enough as it is. But, there are some things seasoned travellers would not even imagine eating. Like, for example, fish.

When I arrived at my hotel I was thrilled to see a basket of fruit awaiting me in my room. Never have I been so happy to eat a banana.

The next day followed the same pattern. Rice Krispies and nothing else (no time to get to a restaurant). Again, my meal was meant to be on the plane to Beijing. Salmon. Salmon was the main course. Ich kenesht. You can't make this up.

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 11:17 AM, Blogger uberimma said…

    What I want to know is, do you get better kosher food in business class, or is it all the same shrink-wrapped stuff?

    I just got back from a week in Hungary. I ate bread, plain yogurt, Twix bars (which, bizarrely, you can get there with a hashgacha) and bananas. All week.

     
  • At 11:55 AM, Blogger MoChassid said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 11:56 AM, Blogger MoChassid said…

    so, you went hungry in Hungary?

    Yes, the food is decidedly better in business class (albeit still shrink wrapped).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home