MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Adar in Efrat

Last Thursday night, as I waited for my flight to Israel in the British Airways lounge, I heard (and saw) the horrible news unfold about the terrorist attack at Merkaz HaRav. From my cab ride into Jerusalem Friday morning until the time I left on Sunday night, I sensed a heaviness around me that I hadn't felt in many years. Even friends who are normally optimistic were very shaken.

For much of the weekend (even though I was there to celebrate a very joyous occasion in our family) I thought about the juxtaposition of the month of Adar with the unspeakable tragedy that had befallen eight families (and so many others who are connected). How can one celebrate Adar under such circumstances?

Then, two things happened that put this question into even more focus. First, I read this post from David Bogner about how one of the young men murdered in Merkaz HaRav was a family friend from Efrat. Then, late on motsai Shabbos, I met Chaim Dovid for tea and he told me that he, Aron Razel and Shlomo Katz were scheduled to give a concert (one of a series of concerts that they are doing around K'shoshanah, the CD I recently produced) in Efrat next motsai Shabbos.

Efrat, at the end of the day, is a small town. No doubt that the murder of this young man has cast a terrible pall over everyone in town. So how do you have an Adar concert ten days later? Do you have a concert?

Waiting for my flight home on Sunday in the El Al lounge, I took comfort from this post from Jameel. Money quote:

No one ignores the pain of the terror, no one forgets the mourning.

But we can't forget the message of Adar. We survived our enemies back then on Purim and we will continue to survive and flourish, today, and in the future.

A Joyous Month of Adar to all of Israel.
Indeed, a joyous month of Adar to all.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

  • At 3:02 AM, Blogger treppenwitz said…

    Thank you for mentioning my post, but I think the definitive post on this topic was the one from Jameel that you quoted. The best revenge (after bombing them into the stone age, of course) is to not allow them to turn Adar into a month of mourning. It is difficult, but it can be done.

    Sorry I missed you this trip. Sounds like it was a whirlwind visit.

     
  • At 8:38 AM, Blogger MoChassid said…

    Thanks, David. Three days in which I:

    chilled with my boys, DIL and grandkids; took 30 growing yeshiva boys out to Sheyan on motsai Shabbos (who, strangely enough, did not seem to have been hindered whatsoever by the fact that they had, not much earlier, eaten big Shabbos meals), had late night tea with CD, and attended my grandson's upsherin.

    Short but sweet, but, unfortunately, no time for the breakfast club!

     
  • At 11:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love the way you whitewash going on with the concert. Not saying there is anything wrong with it, but you would be the first one to bash someone else for doing this

     
  • At 12:25 PM, Blogger MoChassid said…

    chaim

    screw off, you idiot

     
  • At 1:14 PM, Blogger Joe Schick said…

    I should not have missed with MoC today. I retract my comment in the post above!

     
  • At 3:48 PM, Blogger MoChassid said…

    Joe

    Chaim's comment was not respectful and not intellectually honest. It has nothing to do with the underlying point. He was suggesting that if it had been a shiny shoe concert, I would have written taken the opposite position. First of all, it isn't true. Secondly, IMHO, there is a huge difference between a goofy, prust shiny shoe extravaganza and a heartzige kumzitz-like gig by CD, Aron and Shlomo, so even if I would take the opposite position, there are very good reasons to do so.

    Finally, I am not suggesting there isn't room to disagree with my position. But if someone has an argument, make the argument don't rely on ridiculous, irrelevant accusations.

     
  • At 4:45 PM, Blogger Ben said…

    Sorry I didn't get to see you this time.
    Purim brings out the deepest emes; we need it now more than ever. Music, too. Mechiyas Amalek most of all.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home