MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Bitten By the Biking Bug

On early Friday morning I rode out to Point Lookout with the Memphiser Rebbe.

After six years of research (including about 200 emails to me), the Rebbe finally bought a new road bike.

After tooling around for a couple of months with the Melaveh Malkeh Bike Club (average speed - negative 5 mph), the Rebbe decided to find out what it really means to ride. I rode at a decent clip and the Rebbe valiantly tried to hug my wheel but couldn't. So, I waited for him a number of times but, all in all, he did a nice job riding to Point Lookout.

Then we turned around and hit a very light headwind.

BONK!!!

The heiligah Rebbe insisted that I not wait for him on the way back so I took off. The Rebbe made it back to Woodmere in time for a Mikvah just before Shabbos.

I could tell that the Memphiser was smitten. He digs the speed.

Prediction: In short order he will drop his fat-wheel friends from the Melaveh Malkah Club and find a new, skinny wheel chevrah.

In the meantime, I offered to ride with him every Friday morning.

Next time: No rachmunus.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At 10:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If the fat wheel friends could afford the fancy skinny wheels, they would switch in a minute. We haven't yet chosen to mortgage our homes for Brands' bikes.

    On the up side, the fat wheels provide much better resistance, resulting in increased exercise in less time.

     
  • At 10:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    They may have skinny tires , but we have mobil!!

     
  • At 9:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What does a decent clip mean?

     
  • At 4:12 PM, Blogger MoChassid said…

    We probably rode out at an average speed of around 17 mph. The way back was tougher because of the wind. I probably still did close to 17 on my way back.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home