MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Bruce Who?

My newest toy was a big hit on Sunday during the Ohel Bikeathon.

The toy, of course, is a handlebar-mounted speaker into which I attach my iPod so that I can ride with music without endangering myself and everyone around me by wearing headphones. The group of 12 guys that I rode with enjoyed the pickup from my 3 hour play list of vintage rock songs.

I knew that the music aged me, but so what? Steely Dan, the Allman Brothers, Mountain, Dire Straights, Steppenwolf, Traffic, The Beach Boys, Stevie Wonder, and, of course, Bruce. Bruce?

We were climbing one of the few hills on the ride to the sound of "Born in the USA" when one of my riding buddies, Ephraim, whose year of birth has a 1980s handle, asked, "Who is that?" I said, "Springsteen." "Who?"

You can't make this up.

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • At 2:49 PM, Blogger and so it shall be... said…

    Is that better or worse than registering a blank when referencing Cliff Clavin in a conversation with a 19 year old?

    Asked I,” Haven’t you ever heard of Cheers?”

    Replied he, "That has something to do with Frasier?"

     
  • At 3:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Can you really hear the music or does it sound like my old transistor radio from the 70's I used to keep under my pillow in the Yeshiva dorm.

     
  • At 3:55 PM, Blogger SuperRaizy said…

    You should have run that guy off the road.

     
  • At 4:05 PM, Blogger MoChassid said…

    SW:

    The same

    fr5tjew:

    It's actually quite good except when you're going above about 20 miles an hour and the wind is howling.

    Raizy:

    He's a much better rider than I am.

     
  • At 9:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The way I define mass angst is to compare it to what happened at my college in the early 80s, where a very large number of students were New York/New Jersey Jews (I'm from Florida), when Springsteen gave two concerts, the first of which was on the second night of Rosh HaShanah. They of course had planned on the full experience--going to both concerts--and the weeping and wailing was not short lived. (But IIRC most of them broke down and attended both concerts.)

    BTW, I've found a new CD that is good and definitely not Shiny Shoes.
    http://www.harmoniamundi.com/usa/album_fiche.php?album_id=1264

     

Post a Comment

<< Home