MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Friday, June 13, 2008

Sports Friday: Sleeping Through A Classic

I grew up a crazed Boston Celtics fan.

I became a Celtics fan because of my admiration for John Havlicek, in my opinion the single player who did more with his natural talents, through sheer determination, hustle and hard work, than anyone I have ever seen in any sport.

(It was not necessarily a safe thing to be a Celtics fan in Madison Square Garden during the Willis Reed, Walt Frazier, etc. era. But that's what I was.)

After the death of Len Bias and the consequent Len Bias Curse, I stopped following the Celtics as closely and never really again cared much for the NBA.

Until this year.

The Celtics have been nothing short of phenomenal, taking three glorious veterans and using a stifling defense and unselfish offense, to dominate the league (and, as importantly, play the type of game that I really enjoy and respect).

After last nights shocking come-from-24-points-behind-victory over the accursed Lakers, the Celtics are on the brink of their 17th championship.

The problem is, I've slept through it all.

The games start close to 9 p.m. I get up every morning at 5:10 a.m. Ich kenesht.

I went to sleep last night with the Celtics trailing by 18 points with 6 minutes to go in the third quarter. It was already past 11. Driving to shul this morning I nearly swerved off the road when I heard that the Celtics won the game.

I promise to try to stay up on Sunday night when the Celtics finish of the Lakers once and for all.

Labels:

6 Comments:

  • At 2:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Bro! We were such crazed Celtic fans that we wore black low top Chuck Taylor Converse sneakers. Boy! Did we get it from our friends!

     
  • At 3:09 PM, Blogger Jewboy said…

    I considered going to sleep with the Celtics way down, but I stayed up and was rewarded. Not a fan of either team, but I enjoy a good game of any sort.

     
  • At 8:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    the shayla needs to be asked(even if the answer is barur) would u rather they close it out on the road? or they come home and battle in front of the boston crazies?? While the chance of them blowing certainly worries me---still to have a game at the garden for teh championship....oohhh gives me goosebumps.Brad(in EY)

     
  • At 11:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Avid fan here, alumni of the MOTHER SHIP. Go Lakers!

     
  • At 1:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    LOL Enjoy Game 6...

     
  • At 9:31 AM, Blogger MoChassid said…

    I ended up sleeping through game 5. I did a 50 miler Sunday morning and was too tired. I figured that the NBA wouldn't let the Celtics close out the Lakers in Los Angeles and took my chances that there would be a game 6.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home