MOChassid

The rambling thoughts of a Modern Orthodox Chassid (whatever that means). Contact me at emansouth @ aol.com

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Serious Blogging

When I started blogging almost three years ago, my intent (to the extent I really had an intent) was to mix posts about serious matters like Jewish education and music with goofy posts about whatever came to mind (like, for example, macaroons).

I more or less stuck to this formula until my first "retirement" and continued to follow that pattern when I resumed blogging, until my second, longer hiatus, which began in May 2005.

Since I returned, however, it's been increasingly more difficult to post about serious issues. Not that serious issues don't exist. On the contrary. The problem is, I simply don't have the time or the mental energy to write about serious issues. My job is extremely intense while I'm at work. And, because of the intense and political nature of the work, I'm always thinking about it. In the shower, on the train, during davening (!), on my bike. So, instead of thinking about Jewish education, I'm trying to work through XYZ's agenda or figuring how to get ABC to see my side of an issue. All I have time for is narishkeit. (Not that there's anything wrong with that).

If you think about, how many Jbloggers have been around nearly as long as I have, post as much as I do, and are still any good? I would suggest a very small handful. Most have either cut back on the frequency of their posts, the quality of their posts, or both. Many have just faded into the sunset.

So, while my inability to post much of substance on this blog is personally frustrating, I guess it's still worth blogging if I can continue to make a few people smile, smirk or grimace while reading one of my posts. That's about the best I can do these days.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 10:33 PM, Blogger and so it shall be... said…

    Keep on it. Didn't you hit comment paydirt the other day?

    http://mochassid.blogspot.com/2007/02/broken-i-saw-ad-soliciting-matanos.html

    Blogs are like slot machines. Most pulls are a wasteful indulgence. And every now and then, something exciting appears.

     
  • At 7:37 AM, Blogger who am i said…

    not only have you been around for ages, post often and well, but you're also amongst the most modest and self-depreciating of the jbloggers. :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home